In This Series:
Early Learning Resources
Research shows the importance of early childhood education in a student's growth and development. But how do you find the right preschool? Will transitional kindergarten survive the state budget process? What resources are out there? Below are some links to help you navigate the system.
Parent resources and general information about early childhood education in California
- Preschool California, a nonprofit advocacy organization providing resources for parents, educators and other community members about early childhood education. They provide the latest information about transitional kindergarten, pending state legislation, early education news, FAQs, plus facts, figures and research.
- California Department of Education, Resources for Parents and Families, a clearing house of state recommended organizations providing information ranging from how to prevent drowning to how to find a childcare provider.
- Children Now, a nonpartisan advocacy organization devoted to improving early childhood development in California. The site provides facts, figures and the latest news.
- Parentdish.com, Choosing a preschool: Let the fun begin! an article with tips on what to look for in picking a preschool program.
What is transitional kindergarten?
- The Transitional Kindergarten Library, a vast source of information about transitional kindergarten in California.
- Preschool California, resources, latest news and fact sheets regarding transitional kindergarten.
- California Department of Education, a transitional kindergarten FAQ.
- Transitional Kindergarten, Questions and Some Answers provided by the nonprofit advocacy group Developmental Studies Center.
Parent resources for the 10 largest California unified school districts
- Los Angeles Unified School District, Early Education Overview, provides basic information for parents and includes a link to 107 early education centers in the LAUSD.
- San Diego Unified School District, Early Childhood Education Program, provides contact information and a broad set of programs for parents in San Diego.
- City of Long Beach Health and Human Services, Early Childhood Education, provides a broad set of information to promote high-quality early childhood education in Long Beach.
- Fresno County Preschool, website provides the latest information regarding transitional kindergarten and ways for parents to become involved in early childhood education.
- Santa Ana Unified School District, Early Childhood Education, provides contact information to parents about early education programs as well as a contact for SAUSD Head Start.
- San Francisco Unified School District, Early Education Department, provides an overview of early learning programs in the district, location of facilities and enrollment information for transitional kindergarten.
- San Francisco Kids, provides plenty of links to San Francisco-based preschools and guides for parents on finding the right school.
- Oakland Unified School District, Early Childhood Education Program, details about preschool programs, afterschool programs, transitional kindergarten and contact information.
- Sacramento County Office of Education, Early Learning Program, information about transitional kindergarten including an FAQ, how to enroll and contact information for five pilot early kinder programs.
- San Bernardino City Unified School District, State Preschool Sites, links to all preschool programs offered at San Bernardino public schools.
- San Juan Unified School District, Early Childhood Education, information regarding infant toddler/early Head Start and preschool programs.